Friday 10 April 2015

Rainbow : #Childhood Memories.

Many times in my life I have heard few stories about the rainbow. As I saw a small rainbow after little rain, it remind me about those stories of past.  You can check the details of rain in this post and here.
                All the stories are not true, I know now.
When I was a kid, I always wanted to be a boy as at that time, I was thinking that boys are more privileged in our society then the girls. My mother never let me feel any difference at home, if I was girl or boy but when I was looking around and thinking about all my friends and their brothers, even at a young age I was understanding that all the mothers and family members prefer boys over girls. My strong wish was to become a boy. Once my grandmother told me anyone who carries oil and sand in hand and passes under the rainbow, their gender is changed. OMG! This was an incredible news for me. I was living in Rawalakot, Azad Kashmir at that time and it was a heaven of rains and snow. I steal one of pot from my kitchen, fill it with sand and pour oil in it. This was always in ready to go position. Whenever there be rain, I waited for the rainbow in my play ground and start walking towards rainbow at its first sight, to cross it –  to change my sex. But I could never cross the rainbow ever. The closer I tried to get, the faster rainbow used to run from me. I tried for months and months but then I decided not to do this as;


"Rainbow also do not favor girls".
There is another interesting story about rainbow that my grandmother told me. She told me that there is always a pot, full of gold coins at the end of the rainbow. When I was kid I always used to wait for the rainbow to appear and run to find it’s end to get the pot. Unfortunately I could never find the end. If I used to reach one stream, it always shifted with it’s golden pot to next stream. Jumping high quickly  over the mountains of Rawalakot or Pallandri. – of my beautiful cities. 

Most of the time, with many other kids, I was searching everywhere to find the end of the rainbow –  to get the gold but all efforts go in vain. No one told me that rainbow do not reveal it’s gift to everyone. It has not kept it in open place but has hidden and carry it from one place to the other soon after someone gets near.
                   These were two stories that came in my mind after a  long time.                               
            “If you have heard any story about rainbow, I will be happy if you will share”.

Purpose:

Now, may be, you will be thinking, why actually I have shared this story with you. I just want to deliver the message that how small girls counter discrimination. They are suppressed and neglected and not taken much care of, for being a girl. When they see that their brothers are privileged and important for every one from grand parents till family members. There arise a wish in hearts of innocent girls to become a boy. For that, they try in their own way. 

I am happy that this behavior is changing a lot, in educated families. But it is sadly, same in remote areas. My heart break, when I see mothers, neglecting mistakes of boys and younger sisters are pushed to act as servants, in front of brothers. Good food is served first to boys and leftover will be for girls. 

In many families, people are not happy to know that coming child is a girl, even in cases try to get rid of her. At times, mothers have to face torture for bring forth girls. In some cases get divorce too. 

Solution: 

The solution is in my religion. Islam gives rights to females and they are protected and cared about. Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessing be upon him) told that, "Fathers who educate and marry their two daughter in best possible way will be standing with him, during dooms day". What more can be there to tell people about the importance of girls? 

                                 I wish this behavior will change soon. 


The picture above is made by my daughter (04 years). She asked me to use it, so I did as post was related to #childhood memories. I am always surprised how she writes her name with each of her creation with a heart. Unfortunately, I was unable to rotate it. 

Sharing is caring. 

16 comments:

  1. Your daughter's picture is lovely! Rainbows are very special indeed. A beautiful sign of nature's renewal. I don't have any special stories to share, but thank you for sharing yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your little girl's rainbow is a pretty picture. I think most people are fascinated by rainbows. Are you familiar with glories, which are circular rainbows? When I was a flight instructor, often on a day when the conditions were just right, I'd look out below me and see a shadow of my plane in the middle of a glory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely article Andleeb and your daughter's art is beautiful. There are many stories and songs about rainbows where in live in Hawaii in fact we often have double rainbows. I will share with you that I never had a desire to be a boy when I was a kid, but I definitely preferred their lifestyle and freedom. I was a tomboy from a young child, instead of playing with dolls I was hanging from trees and racing my bike with the boys which is why my nickname is "Marty."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it when I come across double rainbows, but it's been awhile since I've seen one. I remember wanting to be a boy at times as well when I was young.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Andleeb, when I was reading your story, I was thinking of the post by Catarina - how far women in your part of the world have come, thanks to people like your mother, to whom it made no difference that you were a girl, which is obvious because you are one of those women Catarina wrote about, well-educated and making a difference by writing about your culture and society. Love the rainbow picture by your daughter (is it Dania?) and the heart. So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute picture your daughter painted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too heard about the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. I guess that is an anology for the dream you pursue, but is never fulfilled.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wonder how many children have chased rainbows all over the world since the beginning of time! It seems parents tell their children that their wishes will all be granted if they reach the rainbow because they know it can't happen and they know that not all wishes should be granted. I love the picture from your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chasing rainbows. Kind of a symbol of the innocence of childhood. I guess it kind of loses its mystique when you find out how rainbows actually occur.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the rainbow picture by your daughter! What a lovely thing to paint and I like to think that sometimes wishes do come true. I always thought I WAS a boy! Laugh! It's a wonderful thing to think that your daughter will benefit from the changes that are happening in your part of the world today. Rainbows could very well be a love;y symbol of that:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely story. I do hope that things become better for women in your part of the world. God created all creatures to be equal.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is hopeful that some change is starting to be seen. Yet a problem still persists and it is pretty world wide. Even where men and women are considered to be much more equal, women still don't get paid as much as men for the same work. And that is in the areas where things are good. I remember a sociology teacher saying that the interesting thing about women is that we are the only discriminated against group in society that choose to live with our "oppressors". This makes it more difficult for women to fight for their rights.. Kind of funny to look at it that way, but an interesting perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  13. There are so many tales of rainbows and none of them ring true. The only true thing about rainbows is how beautiful they are, especially when you see a double rainbow.

    ReplyDelete
  14. When I was told the story about the pot of gold at the end of rainbow my parents said that if I worked hard there would be a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Never give up change and that pot of gold can happen. Just keep believing

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awww what a lovely picture.
    What an awesome article!
    Thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete