Saturday 25 October 2014

Happy New Islamic Year , 1436 AH.



I  got an email from a friend, wishing me New Year, couple of days before.  I was surprised, if my friend is mad as it’s October, then I opened the image and got to know that it was start of Islamic year. I hurried to my Facebook and updated a status, wishing all, a Happy New Islamic Lunar Year, a storm of wishes started coming towards me and then I came across some messages from Pakistan where friends made me to realize that new year has not started yet.

I checked in Google and saw that it will start on the evening of 24th October 2014 . So Hijri new year has started in Middle East but seems Pakistan is behind and surprisingly this time the gap is of two days. 

So now we are in new Islamic year 1436 AH.  

Islamic lunar calendar starts with crescent moon sighting. Crescent moon may appear one or two days later the new moon, poor weather can delay the sighting. The AH  – "Anno Hegirae" which is Latin  or  you can simply say "After Hijrah" The meaning of  hijrah–emigration. The word Hijri is taken from Arabic language.

Hijri Calendar first started with the emigration of Prophet Muhammad (P.B.U.H) from (Mecca to Medina ) Makkah towards north, 270 miles to Madinah in 622 AD. Prophet Muhammad migrated towards Medina to establish a place where he, with his companions can practice the laws of Islam without any problem.

First month of Islamic calendar is Muharram, and Islamic year has 354 days in 12 months.The month of Muharram has special importance for Muslims but the 10th day has it’s own significance. Many Muslims fast on 9th, 10th or 10th, 11th of Mahram to mark Ashura, this day marks the death anniversary of Hussain Ibn-e-Ali, grandson of Prophet Muhammad (P.B.U.H) who was beheaded during the battle in Karbala that is now in Iraq. The fasting on these days is not obligatory. With the start of Muharam you can listen about the importance of days in Islamic history from the surrounding Masjids if you are living in any Muslim country. In their speeches, scholars and clerics emphasize the importance of first 10 days of Muharam. These days are considered as the days of mourning and peace. Islam forbade Muslims to fight in four months throughout the year and this is first month in which fight is forbidden. This is a month of non-violence.  

Sunni and Shia sects in Islam mark these days in different ways. Shia’s celebrate whole month of Muharram as a month of mourning and flagellate themselves with knifes, rods , chains, strike their chest and backs and cry. Sunni Muslims celebrate it to mark victory of Prophet Mosses over Pharaohs of Egypt.

Many Islamic organizations organize conferences and seminars to highlight the importance of historical event in this particular month, many television channels broad cast special transmission and lectures are delivered by scholars marking the martyrdom of Harzrat Hussain on 10th of Muharram. In few countries of the Muslim world there is holiday on 10th of Muharram. 
 
Astronomical calculations are used to find future dates in many countries of the world and some get them by the glimpse of the crescent moon. The calendar that is used in Saudi Arabia is called Umm al Qura, it is also followed by few other Middle East countries. Muslims from around the world follow same festivals on different dates in Muslim countries. But many countries just follow Saudi Arabia to follow Ramadan and Eid festivals.  In Pakistan the people of province , Khyber Pakhtoon Kawa (KPK) start fasting with Saudi Arabia and also celebrate Eid with it but rest of country start Ramadan and celebrate Eid by actual sighting of moon. That normally appears with the difference of one or two days. For the first time, in my life, Eid –al-Adha, 2014  was celebrated in Pakistan  with the gap of two days, from Saudi Arabia. Muslims have only two Islamic holidays throughout the year and they are on festivals of Eid-al-Fitar and Eid-al-Adha.

Expected first day of new Islamic year in 2015 is Thursday, October 15.
 

You can check a post of Washington times for 1436 and importance.  Celebration of Muslim new year is a cultural tradition , not the religious one. This celebration is much different from the Georgian New year celebration, it is actually so quiet. People mostly pray during the day and repent for their sins of last year and ask for forgiveness from God. This year 1436 started on Friday that is marked as an important day of the week.    

Islamic calendar is mostly followed to check the dates for Islamic festivals and holidays. So I would like to say a Happy New Year to all Muslims around the world and my friends who follow Georgian calendar, I wish you in advance.  I wish this year will bring prosperity and success for whole world and we will rise up, forget about differences and start living peacefully. May this year bring abundance of  blessings and may God shower us with Taqwa ( fear of God).

Thank you Ahsan Rafique for a beautiful picture of Masjid-e-Nabwi Madinah Manawara , Saudi Arabia. 

Sharing is caring!

47 comments:

  1. Happy New Year! As usual, this post has been very educational and informative! And I hope this new year brings you all good things:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jacquie
      Thank you so much. I really appreciate your time. Most of the time you are first to comment. I am so happy to have you always.
      Thank you , I just tried to tell some stories that are linked with Islamic calendar.
      Thank you again.

      Delete
  2. With time , many of the muslims forgot many things about islam, islamic calendar is one of them.Most of the muslims even do not know the names of islamic months except some famous ones like Ramadan, Muharram etc.In such period I appreciate your work on islamic events , it increased my knowledge as well as of many others.Dear Anna , you are doing great, keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Raja ,
      You remind me of adding names of Islamic months as well , I will do that soon. Thank you for your time , I really appreciate.

      Delete
  3. Thts gr8 .... Happy new Islamic year....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Raja, for important information about the Islamic lunar calendar. It's also interesting to learn the differences between the Muslim sects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jeannette

      There are many sects and they have so many differences.

      Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the New Year's wishes in advance :) I'm editing a novel right now that partially takes place in England during the switch to the New Style. Thirteen days were lost when the switch was made from the Julian to the Gregorian calendar. Time is what we make it, I guess ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jeri

      You are right in saying that. I feel sad about that confusion and surly you had tense time. I hope these differences do not affect lives.

      Thanks for your time and comment.

      Delete
  6. Happy New Year Anna!!! What I so appreciate about your posts are how you education us on these things. I do hope your New Year brings you much happiness, peace and joy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Susan.

      I really appreciate your time and wish same for you.

      Delete
  7. Happy New Year to you. Like everyone else, I find your posts very important since they educate us and bring us closer together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lenie

      Thank you so much. I wish your new year will also bring you lot of happiness.

      Delete
  8. Happy New Year to year! May the new year bring you health, happiness and peace. Thank you for the information as this is something I had no idea about. It is great learning information from your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Arleen

      Thank you for wishing me and I wish you the same.
      Thanks for your time

      Delete
  9. Happy New Year! My Saudi muslim friends celebrate new year on December 31st as well. They give big parties that are great fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Catarina

      Yes almost all of us celebrate Georgian calendar and celebrate new year on 31st Dec. This Islamic calendar is mostly used for Eid festivals and Ramadan , Haj etc.

      Thank you for your time.

      Delete
  10. Happy New Islamic Year! It's very interesting that different cultures monitor time differently. It's very much an abstract concept, no? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jenny

      Yes it is interesting,

      Thank you for your time.

      Delete
  11. Hi Anna
    I visited Jama Masjid in Delhi with my friend last week. She was telling me all this while we were there. But she missed a few points. Thanks for sharing this article.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Apurva

      It is nice that your friend is taking you to visit different places related to her faith and telling you about it.
      I appreciate your time.

      Delete
  12. Happy New Year! Thanks for sharing this and teaching me something new! It is very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Noelle

      Thank you for your time. I really appreciate.

      Delete
  13. Very informative and interesting article!
    I will add that it is very embarrassing for us as a nation (Pakistan) that we cannot come to an agreement on such religious matters for example, celebrating eid on seperate days (sometimes 3). There is always so much confusion on these days especially when wishing friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Laila

      You are right. Rest of the world celebrate with Saudi Arabia, I also wonder why can not we.

      Hope that some day we will agree on one day.

      Thank you for your time.

      Delete
  14. Thanks for the Islamic history lesson. Pretty interesting that the same day is a cause of flagellation for some and celebration for others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is very interesting that how few celebrate same thing in different ways.

      Thank you Ken for stopping by.

      Delete
  15. Happy New Year! It's so interesting how various cultures celebrate the new year and also when it occurs. I appreciate your clarifying the Islamic year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Beth

      Thank you so much. Even we Muslims do not follow Islamic calendar I came to know all this when I came to Saudi Arabia as here Islamic calendar is followed.

      Delete
  16. A very Happy New Year to you Anna and thanks for educating us a little more as usual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Tim

      Thank you for wishing me. I am happy that you came to know something different about Islam.

      Delete
  17. It's a bit late, but wishing you a happy Islamic New Year/Hijri, Andleeb. I like the picture you made for the occasion too. Funnily enough, I did a feature for last years (AH 1435). Found some nice wallpapers too.

    Thanks for your ongoing support and kindest regards,
    Vijay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Vijay

      Thank you for wish. That is nice I will surly check that post some day.
      So after 1 year you are again on a Islamic new year post.

      Delete
  18. Hi Anna

    Happy New Year and thank you for sharing your knowledge of Islam and the Muslim traditions. It's good to hear the traditions and way of living for regular/normal people rather than the acts of terrorism which, sadly, often seems to be all we hear of normally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Pat

      Muslims are also common people but what is showed to world on Media is not actually the same all over Muslim world. I am happy that you visit my post.

      Thank you.

      Delete
  19. Happy New Year. Thanks for providing information about something I knew little about - the Islamic calendar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Donna

      Thank you for your time and comment. I am happy to know that you came to know something new.

      Delete
  20. Happy New Year!
    Your blog is one of my sources for new learning, I enjoy reading and learning the story behind the stories I see on the news or read in the papers. Learning about the rooted cultural traditions helps clear away the "mystery"fog the media surrounds their news stories. People and places are real and I love getting to know the culture.
    Thank you.
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Pamela

      You comment have really made my day. I am happy that I am able to project a positive image on my world and religion. You are right the face that is presented in Media is truly horrible and any person can be deceived they way stories are being told. But you know all such stories are not always true.

      Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  21. Happy New Year! I learned some good stuff from this post. What I did know is that the Sunni's celebrate Moses defeating the Pharaoh but everything else I learned reading this post. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Niekka

      Thank you for reading my post. Yes there are many different sects in Islam and they have different concepts and ways of celebration. Yes Suni sect celebrate victory of Prophet Moses and also prefer to fast for two days on the occasion.

      Delete
  22. Happy New Year and thank you so much for sharing about your cultural traditions. I new only vaguely about the different sects so I'm glad you explained this is greater depth along with how your holidays are celebrated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Marquitta

      Thank you for wishing me.
      I am happy that you have learnt something new about Muslim celebrations.

      Delete
  23. Happy New Year to you! I enjoyed reading your post and learned a lot today. I wish you and your family blessings of prosperity and happiness in your hearts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Eileen

      Thank you so much for your wish. I too wish same for you.

      Delete
  24. I did not know the stories related to Islamic year. Thank you for share.

    ReplyDelete